Clough House Farm Sale 4 April 1937

Fishlake Axe.

Don Cottage, lady and dog, Fishlake 1900

Fishlake historical timeline with key dates.

 

687

Death of St Cuthbert our patron saint.

 

875 to 883

St Cuthbert’s body is said to have been transported by monks (the wanderings) through Northern Britain rested at Fishlake during that period.

 

1066

Norman conquest. Construction of the present stone church.

 

1086

Fishlake gets a mention in the Doomsday Book, being part of the estates of William Warren.

 

1170

About this time the fabulous South Doorway of the church constructed.

 

1094 about

First mention of a church at Fishlake when 2nd William de Warrane (1088-1138) granted the rights of Fishlake church to the Priory at Lewes. Rectory.

 

1200-1300.

Much of the present church dates from this period.

 

1300-1400

Chancel arch, Great West window, Lady Chapel to the North and Trinity Chapel to the South and Octagonal front all added.

 

1387

Fishlake became a vicarage when the church was granted to Prior and Convent, later Dean and Chapter of Durham.

 

1500

The Rood Screen installed.

 

 

1505

Death of Rev Richard Marshall vicar of Fishlake and a magnificent alter tomb constructed in his memory.

 

 

1561

Fishlake Parish Baptism, Marriage and Burial registers begun.

 

1582

Bylaw books dates from.

 

1610

Fishlake Hall originally built.

 

1627

Crown granted the manor of Fishlake to Cornelius Vermyuden.

 

1638

Manor of Fishlake bought by Sir Arthur Ingram, Lord Irwin, who remained Lords of the manor for the next 300 years.

 

1641

Endowed Grammar School Established as a charity by Rev Richard Rands.

 

 

1652

Death and burial of Barnarbus Allerbus at Fishlake, a Belgian military general of the horse of the commonwealth of England. Considered a VIP funeral.

 

1664

The first recorded village school master, John Brogden

 

1685

Thomas Alleyn founded a charity to provide poor relief in the village.

1686

Fishlake recorded 4 guest beds and 8 stabling for horse in an Inns and Ale house survey. 

 

1697

Major flooding in the area causing much damage.

 

1720

The first pictorial representation of Fishlake village by Samuel Buck.

 

1765

Thomas Gabbitas elected Mayor and Alderman.

 

1766

Richar Wharam elected Mayor and Alderman.

 

1768

A substantial stone bridge at Stainforth replacing wooden one, proving an important crossing from and to Fishlake.

 

1773

31 st December 1773. A Mayor's feast was held at Frances Saul's in the township of Fishlake. Attended by the Mayor and Alderman. 

 

1795

Major village flood.

 

1802

Stainforth and Keadby Canal fully opened. Marked the beginning of decline of water traffic on the River Don along with the railways in 1850’s.

 

1825

Fishlake Enclosure Act. Remaining common lands enclosed.

 

1814

Zion Chapel built then restored as a Methodist New Connexion in 1832.

 

1847  New vicarage built, overseen by Rev J Leeson.

 

1850

Appointment of Canon George Ornsby vicar of Fishlake and distinguished antiquarian.

 

1854

Major church restoration began under Rev Ornsby. Buried stone relics unearthed can still be seen in the vicarage garden. 2/3 funded by Ornsby and friends.

 

1860

Separate Parochial district of Sykehouse created.

 

 

1887 

Jubilee Bridge opened.

 

1890

Primitive Methodist Chapel opened.

1901

The Census gave the population as 482.

 

1901

Church clock installed and dedicated in the Spring by Rev E Flecker.

 

1902

Village Hall erected.

 

1904

The village Endowed Grammar school became an Elementary school based on 1902 Act.

 

1904-1908

Monkey business. Winifred Gould teaching Darwin theory of evolution and its consequences for the village.

1907

Set of clock chimes dedicated by Bishop of Beverley 22 May 1907. Quarterly chimes.

 

1911

The formation of ‘Fishlake United Charities’ bringing together the Alleyns Charity and various other smaller charities.

 

1914 1918 WW1

11 Fishlake men died.

 

1923

Major local Fishlake flooding.

 

1926

First bus service provided by Walter Roe.

 

1930-32

Electricity connected to the village.

 

1930

The River Ouse (Yorkshire) Catchment Board took over responsibly for drainage and flood defences.

 

1932

Another major flood affecting a large part of the village.

 

1945

Women's Institute Fishlake branch founded.

 

1939 1945.  WW11.

2 Fishlake men died.

 

1953

River Don diversion scheme completed to straighten the river taking it away from its former route by the village.

 

1956

Piped water arrived in the village.

 

1968

Cricket Club established.

 

1969

Junior Football Club formed.

 

1975

Village gets street lighting.

 

1994

Village School Closes.

 

1987

Rev John Osgerby first vicar of the Benefice of Fishlake, Sykehuse, Kirk Bramwith and Moss.

 

2002

Main drains installed, so good bye septic tanks!

 

2007

In September The HRH Princess Royal visited Fishlake church and uncovered a plaque.

 

2008

Village shop and post office closed.

 

2015

Village butchers shop closed.

 

2015

Local History Society formed.

 

 

Violet Downing marries John Taylor 11 Augt 1915. See Docs for details .

Fishlake Endowed School 1900s

The Hawthorns, Haygreen 1973


Warning: include(1): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /homepages/2/d486623761/htdocs/Fishlakehistory/tmp/regularlabs/94861_b53a4b0efcbb47abbbb56ed3942ba94f on line 10

Warning: include(): Failed opening '1' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php7.3') in /homepages/2/d486623761/htdocs/Fishlakehistory/tmp/regularlabs/94861_b53a4b0efcbb47abbbb56ed3942ba94f on line 10